Thursday, December 2, 2010

first poem i loved

It used to scare me when my Speech and Drama teacher used to recite it in my Saturday morning class but when I had to perform it  for a grade I grew to love it:


THE DEVIL'S BAG 

I SAW the Devil walking down the lane 
Behind our house. There was a heavy 

bag 
Strapped tightly on his shoulders, and 

the rain 
Sizzled when it hit him. He picked 

a rag 
Up from the ground and put it in his 

sack, 
And grinned and rubbed his hands. 

There was a thing 

Moving inside the bag upon his back- 
It must have been a soul ! I saw it 

fling 
And twist about inside, and not a 

hole 

Or cranny for escape ! Oh, it was 

sad ! 
I cried, and shouted out, " Let out 

that soul ! " 
But he turned round, and, sure, his 

face went mad, 
And twisted up and down, and he 

said " Hell ! " 
And ran away

No comments:

Post a Comment